Friday, August 12, 2005

Wait till next year

Ok, but this is absolutely the last time! I am tired of rebuilding, trading off quality major league players for mid-level prospects. I am tired of being out of the playoff chase by August. I am tired of watching the players go through the motions. As a fan, I am willing to put up with falling short this season, as long as there is a real plan, with management and players on the same page. What I will not tolerate are players quitting, lethargy, and a "here we go again" attitude.

Have some dignity, guys!!! So you can't make it to the playoffs this year. IS that the only reason to try hard? Is that the only reason to work together? Haven't you thought about being paid to perform at the best of your abilities? Haven't you heard about providing a good product for your fans? Haven't you heard about trying to improve yourself, even when those around you are throwing in the towel? Don't play for them--play for yourself!! Maybe you'll draw the attention of a team in contention, and they'll try to rescue you from the abyss called the Detroit Tigers.

The Tigers teased us all year, but were never really in it. Next year, they need to take a step up, but that will require (1) another dominant pitcher (in addition to Verlander,who we can't really trust to be better than average as a rookie), (2) a LEFT-handed power hitter (who preferably plays good outfield defense), and (3) a rebuilt bullpen (who would've believed the team's7-8-9 inning guys from spring training wouldn't be on the 25-man roster come August 1st?)

Dave Dombrowski, you've got your work cut out for you (though the foundation appears to be there). And I haven't even mentioned the manager/coaching staff. Blow it up, and bring in someone who can both manage the actual game, and get the players to play their butts off. (But not Lou Piniella)


As far as this year goes...Stick a fork in 'em!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U'll never learn, will ya...Illitch doesn't want to win, and now that the NHL is back, the Tigers will move to the back burner and further to obscurity

12:25 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

What can I say, I am an eternal optimist, wishful thinker, growth oriented person...I try to see the good in people.

If that makes me naive, I'll live with that.

World Series in 2010!!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember going to class at Wayne State the day after the 1996 Red Wings lost (yet again) in the playoffs. One of my classmates was cursing the Wings and swore that he was giving up on them. I suspect that a year later, when the Wings won the Stanley Cup, it was the sweetest taste in the world to him.

The losses only make the wins that much more enjoyable.

4:11 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

amen brother!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

ND-

So what you're saying is that when Joey throws his last TD pass this season under the Ford field roof, it will be the most glorious February day ever

12:23 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Your post reminds me of something I once heard. When they asked Dimaggio why he played so ahrd in every game, he said...

"Because there is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time. I owe him my best"

12:27 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

I love that about DiMaggio...but I am not sure I see the parallel

3:15 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

Ah, I see it now :)

Work hard, play hard!!!!!!!!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I am talking about your post, where you wrote about the Tigers mailing it in.

4:30 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

yes, I am a little slow today...but even though I didn't bring my 'A' game, I am still out here busting my butt to give the fan a good product...unlike those Carib...whoa, that sounds like Bob Feller

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home