Thursday, January 26, 2006

Back in the saddle again

So people have been giving me a hard time for leaving Dear Dave Dombrowski for over a month. Well, what do you want, people? I was trying to send a consistent message to Tigers management!! I still believe that deal will get done before the next time a team goes 35 and...oh wait a minute, that just happened.

So let me chime in with my opinion that it is more difficult for a baseball team to go 35-5 than it is a basketball team, although I am very much impressed with the way the Pistons have been mauling the competition. People have been giving all sorts of reasons why the Pistons run is more impressive than the Tigers run. I can't fault them for their position, but here is mine: Statistical analysis will show that (a) 5 times in the past 20 years, NBA teams have either matched or exceeded the 35-5 start of the Pistons and (b) top NBA teams routinely win 30+ games out of their first 40. So the Pistons winning 35 games is only 3 or 4 games better than the Spurs, Mavs, etc. The best start in baseball over the same period may have been the Cardinals of a couple years ago, and I think (without looking up stats) that they were around 33-12. Most years, top MLB teams win between 25-28 games out of 40. So, simply put, the stats suggest it is more difficult to do it in baseball and the evidence is that no team has come close to the Tigers 35-5 start.

I am too lazy and tired to give a better argument than this
Booya