Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My path

Has led me to discover more about Staff Sergeant Alan Roger Hosnedle. He died on March 12, 1969, killed in action by enemy fire in South Vietnam.

http://www.thevirtualwall.org/index.cfm?SectionID=110&Wall_Id_No=24205.0

I spoke this morning with Gail Hosnedle, a surviving sister of Alan. She told me he was drafted into the army and was one month shy of completing his tour of duty, when he was killed in action. He was 23 years old. Her father had been very ill for quite some time, and was hanging on just to be able to see his son (her brother) again. When he was told that Alan was killed, he slipped into a coma and died. Their funerals were held together on April 3rd, 1969.

Staff Sergeant Alan Roger Hosnedle is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. His father's remains are buried with him.

Ms. Hosnedle was glad to hear from me, and asked that I send her the newspaper clipping. We chatted for a few minutes about Burt Lake, the area, etc. The property I found with the name "Hosnedle" has been in the family since 1948. It carries a lot of memories for her, as she and her brother spent many summers growing up together. She mentioned that she had recently married, and people had been teasing her to change the name of the property. She hadn't gotten around to doing it, which is again, ironic, since I would not have been hit by the coincidence if I had not seen the name so soon after I found the newspaper clip.

At the moment, I feel profoundly impacted by this interaction. It makes me appreciate even more how fortunate we are as Americans. We really need to remember the fallen, the wounded, and the life courses altered among those left behind.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A year ago, I attended a bankers conference in Indianapolis. There was a motivational speaker whose name I don't remember. He spoke mostly about how happy we should make ourselves, especially in this great country. He said that since 9/11 he has adopted the practice of thanking any member of the military, police or firefighting forces for their service. I thought it was a great idea and have done so with military members whenever I encounter one. Almost every time, they thank me in return and I make a point to respond, "No, really, thank you."

I have not done so with police officers or firefighters. I guess it's because, with police officers, I encountered so many while practicing criminal defense law that I am not as in awe. That is not a reflection on what a great job they do. Almost every police officer I encountered in work was honest and doing his or her job while trying to put my clients away and they knew I was also doing my job in trying to stop them. With firefighters, I guess it has to do with being friends with a firefighter. FF Jerry is a great guy and I admire what he does, but knowing him as a buddy changes things. For example, I saw him get totally blotto at a wedding the other night. That doesn't make him any less admirable, just more human.

11:51 AM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

You're right..we need to appreciate and respect people for what they do for us, and nevr grow tired of thanking them for providing us with the great world Americans are able to experience. Unfortunately, familiarity often breeds disrepect in the sense that we see each other's flaws, and are less "in awe" of those who deserve our love.

That is one reason why it is so difficult to maintain healthy romantic relationships over time, and why those who remain happily together for long periods of time are celebrated.

Tell FF_Jerry we still love him!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Can you give us a more descriptive account of the beginning of the call. Specifically, what did you tell her when she answered the phone.

I imagine that this call might not be welcomed in every circumstance. Had she reacted badly, what wold your reaction have been?

2:32 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

It was actually very interesting. I was concerned that she might not want to revisit old wounds, or be forced to re-grieve her brother or father's deaths. I was very careful to offer her several opportunities throughout the phone call to tell me politely that she would like to move on, but she was very comfortable talking to me. I think her knowing that I spent a week just 3 houses from her definitely gave me "legitimacy." But I also feel she would have spent the time on the phone with me if she believed my sincerity.

I began the phone call asking for a Ms. Gail Hosnedle. I told her my name, and where I was from, and that I was looking for relatives of Staff Sgt. Alan Hosnedle. I apologized up front for intruding on her, and told her I had a story she might like to hear. There was a pause on the phone, so I felt she was giving me an opportunity to talk. I then proceeeded to talk abou the newspaper clip, stumbling upon her cottage, and visiting the wall. I asked her if she minded sharing something about her brother, and we then began to chat about Indian River, Burt Lake, etc.

I believe I was careful to introduce myself and what I was calling about in such a way, that if she did not want to have the conversation, she would be able to do so without "reacting badly." If she had done so, I probably would have apologized for upsetting her, thanked her again for her brother's heroic efforts, and wished her well.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, since you guys all know each other, why don't you just visit or call each other instead of doing the blog thing?
Is it the cool factor?

6:51 AM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

Dear Anonymous,
Welcome to my alternate universe.
As it happens, there are a few who do not know each other, and I am always looking to expand my circle of colleagues...

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home