Monday, August 22, 2005

A time out to remember the fallen

This past weekend I attended the annual convention of the American Psychological Association in Washington, D.C. I had been planning my trip since last December, when I decided to submit some research to present at the conference. My plans were to learn about new research, meet peers and scholars in research areas of interest, as well as enjoy the sights in D.C. I had planned to visit the National Mall, with the intention of making a special pilgrimmage to the various war memorials.

In February of this year, I learned I would be spending a year training at the VA Health System in Ann Arbor. Knowing I would be working closely with vets made a trip to the memorials particularly relevant, as I sought to be able to connect with my clients and their experiences.

About 1 month ago, I was opening a bag of stuff from Target. I had purchased some odds and ends, and was opening a picture frame from the cardboard, when out popped a cutout of a death notice from a newspaper. In pencil, was written the date of the paper: 4-2-69. Included in the notice were 2 names: Staff Sgt. Alan R. Hosnedle, and below him, his father, Theodore F. Hosnedle. The funeral took place at the Armstrong Funeral Home, 10300 Puritan, at 11 AM.

When I found it, I wasn't sure what to do, but planned to pay my respects at the wall, and try to find his name. A few weeks later, while visitng family up north on Burt Lake, I came across a cottage with the name on the mailbox: Hosnedle. I didn't have the death notice on me, and no one appeared at home, so I did not leave a message. However, I began to get a sense of urgency that it was my duty to visit the wall, and if possible, get in touch with the deceased's family.

Keep in mind, that it is not typically my style to read so much into these types of daily events. I am usually much more likely to interpret these things as random, but in this case I felt it was important to follow through. The weekend arrived and I was too busy to get out to do any sightseeing, much less visit the mall. On Sunday, August 21st, I had 2 hours to get from my hotel to the mall, find the Vietnam Memorial, and find the name of Staff Sgt. Alan R. Hosnedle. I walked in the 90 degree heat, soaking through my shirt, watching my ice coffee get very warm, and headed out from 9th and Constitution past the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial, the reflecting pool and on to the Lincoln Memorial. I knew the Wall was nearby, but hadn't been able to spot it. I was running out of time, when I saw it, and solemnly approached.

I did not realize that the names were in chronological order of when each had fallen until I got there and felt overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of the list, and my cause, feeling I would fall just short of paying my respects: I had come so far, but felt so incomplete. I decided to honor him and all of the fallen soldiers by glancing at each of the panels from one end of the wall to the other, before sadly beginning my walk back to the hotel. As I was leaving the memorial space, I discovered a book that listed the names of the fallen and their location on the wall. I anxiously scanned through until I came upon the name of Alan Roger Hosnedle, from Dearborn Michigan, located on panel 29W. I quickly ran back, found the park officer who had been etching for others, and asked if he would stencil a name for me. He asked if I knew the panel and row. I knew the panel, but did not realize I had to have a row. I quickly scanned the panel until I came across Alan R. Hosnedle. I watched as he carefully stenciled the name onto a piece of paper, thanked him profusely and took it with back to my hotel. I carefully packed it, and brought it back to Detroit.

Today is Monday, August 22nd, 2005. I have yet to find the Hosnedle family, but intend to do so. I have no idea if Alan Roger Hosnedle was a good person, nor do I know the circumstances of his death. It does not matter. He was somebody's son, and when he died, he was representing us, defending us, and protecting us. He may be no longer physically with us, but he represents a strong link in the chain of freedom.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing post. If you need any help finding the family, let me know. My work involves finding people, even families of people who died decades ago.

11:40 AM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

Thanks!

I looked up Hosnedle on Yahoo people search and guess what I found:

The only name listed was the one I saw up in Indian River. The first initial of that person matches the name of the surviving sister listed in the notice.

I think I'm going to call her...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

So did you call her?

3:47 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

Not yet..Waiting for the right moment...it will happen within the next 48 hours

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Alan when he attended Michigan State, we shared a suite in Wilson Hall. I can tell you that Alan was one hell of a guy. One of the guys on the floor nicknamed Alam "Hose-it" when Alan first came into the dorm. The nickname stuck. He left MSU when his father got sick.I often think of Alan asbeing perpetually in his 20's. I was glad to see that Alan is still remembered. The world is short one very good man.

Dan Foy (danfoy@mindspring.com)

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home