Thursday, July 14, 2005

Pick 3 (or why I love sports radio)

My last few entries have been quite long, so here are a few brief thoughts.

I love Pick 3, the game played by Sean Baligian (It is what it is, 9-12 daily on WDFN 1130 AM). I get to test myself against the clock, against other loyal listeners of the DFN audience, and increase my short-term memory (a good strategy to foil aging). I recently sat down and tried to list out all the answers of previous pick 3 questions without the aid of the internet and without the limits of a timer. Mssportspsychbabe thinks I have a little bit of John Nash going on, but it works for me. Typical questions asked by Sean include: (1) Pick 3 champs during a specific calendar year from 1 of the 4 major sports (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB), (2) Pick 3 (NHL, NBA, NFL, MBL) champs during the (1980's, 1990's, 2000's), (3) Pick 3 Big Ten (teams, bball or football coaches) outside the state of Michigan, (4) Pick 3 mythical college (champs, coaches) during the (1990's, 2000's). These are great questions because they separate the local sports follower from the true sports fan.

One of my pet peeves is listening to sports radio and hearing someone question a basic fact, or say "I have to check on that." If it were up to me, Sean would use Pick 3 as a hiring tool for any sports related job. He would go to Jeannie Zalasko, al michaels (lowercase intended), Tom Looney, the entire station up the dial, all sideline reporters, and people who have jobs that imply sports expertise and have them fill out a timed test of their sports knowledge. Then our airwaves would be left with just a few people who can actually recite who won what when, who played in what all star games, who belongs in the hall (with stats and logic to back it up).

Of course, those with other reasons to be on the air could be given a few provincials, as some talent is not worth wasting...

6 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

Pick three is one of te efew games I enjoy listening to on teh fan (of course the aquares is number 1) I've followed sports my whole life, but I have to admit, I do suck at Pick 3

12:21 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

That's what makes it so great. if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth playing. It gets especially difficult with sean counting down the time in one ear..definitely a tool to separate the die hards from the imposters..and definitely s/thing Air would agree is worth listening to

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been playing Pick 3 for 22 years, okay, and I know a real Pick 3 question when I see it, okay, and any Pick 3 Game that doesn't ask of the three teams the greatest player in NHL history played for doesn't know what they're talking about..OKAY, btw his name is Paul Coffey, okay, and he played for Edmonton, Detroit, and Hartford, okay...

-P from L.O.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Did Coffey play in Hartford. Memory says he played in Carolina. And he did have that crucial goal for Colorado in the playoffs...

10:53 AM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

I tried to post this a few moments ago, but my pc went splat, so here goes again.

Air Time, you are correct. The Wings traded Coffey to th Hartford Whalers along with Keith Primeau for Shanny in 1996-1997. It propelled them to multiple Cups. Coffey followed the Whalers when Karmanos picked them up and moved them to Carolina. I am not sure how long he played in a Canes sweater.

I am assuming the Colorado goal you are referrring to is when he knocked it into the Wings net in 1995-1996.

11:46 AM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

P from L. O.--

I like Coffey as a player, but the best ever? He is not even in my top 5

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home