Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet

Growing up, marathon oil co. was one of the major sponsors of Tigers games (back when they were heard on the Great Voice of the Great Lakes). They had a jingle in their radio spots implying that Marathon "best in the long run" was as American as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet.

While I never knowingly purchased Marathon oil, it made me think about things that are truly "American." I am not sure I want to devote space to a personal compilation of that list, but I'd like to reflect on something that I think the ad was pulling for: It is seeking to make people nostalgic for yesteryear, a time when life was simple, people were happy, and the world was a safe place. Last night, I had to make an airport run. I tuned the radio to the All-Star game, and Ernie Harwell, the famous great voice of the great voice (see www.airtimedaily.blogspot.com for further discussion of the great voice) was in the booth with the current announcers talking about Detroit. Then for one batter, he took over the mike and called the game. For the length of time that it took for the batter to draw a walk, I was back to being 10 years old, with no worries about food, bills, safety. Ole Ernie, with his southern drawl calling it the only the way he can: "Hernandez checks his sign and peers in at the batta. Outfield playin him straight up, as they often do here at Camerica Paak. He sets and delivas, breaking ball just a little low...almost had him reaching for that one, but the batta checked in time."

I drove while experiencing Nirvana for about 5 minutes. Then the batter walked, Ernie left the booth, and I made it to the airport, where I was awakened from my brief trip back in time by the Sheriff's deputy, who told me I couldn't wait curbside...for security purposes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

Did you see on FOX before teh game they had a poeice on Ernie, and then interviewe him. While he was talking, the female reporter (can't remember her name) cut him off mid-sentence, and moved on to the next topic. such disrespect, you dont treat a legend like that. Eevn if he goes over his allotted :30 seconds, you let him finish his thought

3:49 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

I did not see that, but I did hear about it on DFN this morning. I am conflicted about it b/c Jeannie Zulaska (sp?) probably did not have a choice--her producers told her to end the segment. The question is, who's running Fox sports? They obviously have not respect for the history of the game...and where was Joe (Randy Moss just performed an absolutely disgusting act) Buck? Where was the outrage Joe?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Ddin't you mean Baseball, Apple Pie Mom and Honey Baked Brand Ham

5:18 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

gotta be a honey-baked bread and ham.....no, I mean baseball, hotdogs, apple pie, and chevrolet...baseball, hotdogs, apple pie, and chevrolet....baseball...hotdogs.. apple pie..and chevrolet. Baseball. Hotdogs. Apple Pie. AND Chevrolet (It's hard to get the cadence right)...maybe someone out there has found the old clip and would like to post it...

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home